ESL Level 1-4
This course is designed to efficiently and strategically prepare intermediate level students to cope with an academic setting by teaching them the English language and relevant skills.
The course is for students with less than a 5.0 in IELTS (as established through a placement test or alternative standardized test).
The course can be taught in two streams, the English Stream and the Bilingual Stream.
The course is 400 hours of instructional time. There are 160 lessons, and each lesson is 2.5 hours long.
The course is divided into two sections, the language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) and one assessment for each.
The course is divided into 4 levels: ESL 1, ESL 2, ESL 3 and ESL 4. Each class is 2.5 hours long. The length of each course, it is one month for ESL 1 to 4.
• Understand verbal instructions.
• Preview and predict when listening.
• Listen for specific information to complete sentences, forms, notes, tables, diagrams, plans and maps.
• Use a wide range of vocabulary when speaking.
• Use a wide range of grammatical structures when speaking.
• Use comprehensive pronunciation when speaking.
• Speak with minimal hesitation.
• Speak cohesively
• Identify a reading passage as narrative, descriptive, discursive or argumentative.
• Identify the main ideas in short reading passages from books, journals, magazines and newspapers.
• Comprehend detailed information in short reading passages from books, journals, magazines and newspapers.
• Comprehend information presented in a diagram, graph, chart and illustration.
• Summarize information presented in short reading passages from books, journals, magazines and newspapers.
• Write a summary of information presented in a graph or diagram.
• Write an opinion essay.
• Write an argument essay.
• Write a problem-solving essay.
• Use a wide range of vocabulary when writing.
• Use a wide range of grammatical structures when writing.
• Edit written work for accuracy, coherence and cohesion.